Sunday, March 4, 2012

My Top 10 Favorite Cities


I realize that this list might be extremely premature as there are still many places left in the world to see.  I don’t have some sophisticated spreadsheet formula to score cities on certain criteria to determine which cities are my favorites.  I’m just putting together a list of cities we’ve been to as a family that we all really enjoyed and that I’d love to go back and see.  I’m just shooting from the gut.  Here goes:

#1 Stockholm, Sweden

I thought I was completely biased here since I lived in Stockholm at one point, but my 10 year-old daughter insists it’s her favorite as well.  There is nothing better than a Swedish summer.  The Swedes are extremely helpful, and the public transportation and walking trails are awesome.  Stockholm has this way of making me feel like slowing down and enjoying life.

#2 Paris, France


Paris ranks as Katie’s #1.  It was so easy for us to feel like we were slipping into a Parisian life, stopping to get our daily baguette.  The buildings and city itself are very beautiful.  There is a certain feeling in Paris that is quite special and unique.

#3 Seoul, Korea

Maybe we loved Seoul because of the “rock star” treatment our family received.  Because of the kid’s blonde hair, they were gawked at, had their pictures taken, and even received candy from total strangers (but not in a creepy way).  The JW Marriott was amazing and the rush of the city was exhilarating.  The subway stations felt like little cities themselves.  

#4 Hong Kong, China

Some cities in Asia feel “too modern” (Singapore) and others feel “too crazy” (Bangkok), but Hong Kong feels just right.  There are distinct differences between the Island and Kowloon, but with everything so accessible, it all feel like one big, perfect blend.  I love big cities because of the energy they have, and Hong Kong has plenty.  Also, Hong Kong has the top skyline in the world.

#5 Honolulu, Hawaii

OK, so we lived here so again, not completely unbiased.  To vacation in Hawaii, one might be disappointed with the large city that is Honolulu.  But to live there, it has so much convenience with a mix of Island Aloha, Asian influence, great golf and beautiful beaches. 

#6 Munich, Germany

Munich, and the surrounding areas, just felt like how a foreigner imagines Germany.  We’ve been to Hamburg, Berlin, and Dresden in Northern Germany, but Munich and Southern Germany have the Alps, excellent biergartens, and beautiful scenery.  To me, of all the foreign cities we’ve been to, Munich felt like the easiest city to up and move to.

#7 Austin, Texas

This is the 3rd place we’ve lived in, so again, unbiased.  Austin is an amazing mix of high tech, great food, beautiful outdoors, friendly people and just that Texas feeling.  We still have a home there and not a week goes by that Katie doesn’t bring up moving back to Austin.

#8 Prague, Czech Republic

Most of our time in Prague was spent in the old city and tourist areas, so it’s difficult to rank it too high since our opinion is quite limited.  However, the Old Prague is amazing.  We literally felt like we had traveled back in time walking through the narrow streets in this medieval city.

#9 Seattle, Washington

Seattle has a great mix of tall buildings (I mentioned earlier I like buildings), gorgeous scenery, friendly people and great food.  It’s a US city that has a feel all its own (not too common in the US).

#10 Bangkok, Thailand

Bangkok probably not the easiest city to visit if you’re not accustomed to travel because it is a huge departure from the typical American’s comfort zone.  However, everyone that has done a fair amount of travel lists it as one of their top cities for that very reason, it’s so unlike anything they’re accustomed to.  It’s busy, dirty, a little smelly and totally amazing.  I mentioned earlier that Bangkok is crazy, but it's a good kind of crazy.  Is there anything like the Chatuchak Market in the world?

Honorable Mention: Vienna, San Francisco, Copenhagen, Merida and Zurich.

4 comments:

  1. Love your passion for travel and each other. My husband and our 3 children are heading to Esmeralda Palm Springs in a few weeks, can't wait. Have you explored Whistler, Canada? Amazing mnts. We love summers there -hiking,biking, shopping and dining like no other outdoor venue. Our girls,12 and 6 state it as their "favorite place in the world."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We haven't done Whistler. I hear it is amazing. We live by mountains and my wife usually craves beach when we go out of town, but I've always wanted to go there. I appreciate the tip. I hope you have a great stay in Palm Springs.

      Delete
  2. I took a Hamburg city breaks trip last year and then on towards Prague. I found as a whole Germany is a mesmerising country and is so diverse! Although I do think its more of a Spring destination. I would love to go there and summer and see for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I was asked to make a list of top 10 favorite countries, my list will be as same as yours. And the most favorite city between all these is Bangkok. The reason why I selected Bangkok is that I had spent my honeymoon in this city and have everlasting memories of those days.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...