Monday, July 9, 2012

Kob Kun Krab Thai Orchid-Salt Lake City

So we've been to Thailand a few times, but that doesn't necessarily make us Thai food snobs.  But what does bother me is when Thai restaurants in the U.S. eliminate 60% of the spice to make it more palatable to the average patron.  At least that has been my experience at Salt Lake City Thai Restauratns.  Here's what they're missing, the average patron, the guy that likes to brag he eats Thai food and probably is dumb enough to walk into a Thai resataurant and ask for chop sticks to try to impress his friends, is really only eating Thai food a couple times a year.  If you own a Thai restaurant, my recommendation is make the food as authentic as possible so the true Thai food lovers will crave the salty, spicy, sweet and sour balance that perfect Thai food has.

Aren't the best restaurants always the little hole in the wall that you think only you know about?  We have one of those special spots in Utah, Thai Orchid (if you're in Utah it's on Highland and about 6200 South, by Sneiders).  It is tucked into a strip mall and only has about 10 tables of 4.  You know you've found a great Thai restaurant when English is a second language for all the staff and the cook is a little old man that I'm convinced only knows the words "you like?" in English. 

I introduced my parents and sister and brother-in-law to this gem on Saturday.  The only negative comment was my dad thought the papaya salad was too hot...sorry dad, that's what makes THIS Thai restaurant actually good, is that it is hot.  We ordered all our dishes medium spicy, but they can bring extra peppers for people in the party that want the heat.  We ordered some of the standards, Papaya Salad, Thai Beef Salad, Pad Thai, Satay, Massaman Curry.  We also ordered a few stir fry dishes based on the servers recommendations and loved them.

I'm torn sharing such a glowing review.  On the one hand, I kind of want to keep this place a secret, but on the other hand I want to help reward this establishment for doing such a great job and help make sure they're around for a long time to come.

Service: 9/10
Ambiance: 7/10
Food: 10/10 (isn't this all that really matters?)

Thai Orchid on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't agree with you more that Thai food is a fusion of diverse flavors. I love to eat these flavorful dishes from Thailand during my Thai travel. I can't wait to gobble up again on Pad Thai in Bangkok!:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...