Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Pho Kim Long-Las Vegas

When you're in Vegas with two Asian guys, two Asian guys that spend A LOT of time in Vegas, and they say "Let's go get some Pho" and it's 3:00 in the morning, you know they have some place good in mind.  And when you just got bounced from a Poker Tournament, some comforting soup just sounds so good.

I read some other reviews and the people that marked Pho Kim Long low did so for a couple reasons.  First, the hostess didn't great them with a warm smile and act honored by their presence.  If that's what you're looking for, go to The Strip.  Plus, have you spent time with Asian people?  It's all business.  Ask a Chinese friend how much coddling he got from his mom growing up.  Second, the menu had no description of entrees.  Seriously, just ask what is good and trust the waiter's opinion.  Although I admit, having some "insider" tips from my two buddies helped.

Here's the thing, I'm a huge sucker for a good restaurant in a strip mall, and if any town has a China Town, I'm eating there.  Vegas does have a little China Town with some great food.  I personally don't love the over friendly hostess, low light or ambiance.  I like good food, finding a place you feel the locals are eating at and getting my food quickly.  Pho Kim Long delivered on all my hot buttons.  As I looked around, I kind of felt like this was the secret spot that integrated Asians introduced their white friends to.  At each table it was a mix of two or three Asians with, like me, the token white friend.  Like the Asian veil had been drawn back to get a taste of some good, authentic stuff.

I was in the mood for Ox Tail soup, but the waiter recommended the closest thing on the menu, Beef Porridge (Beef Stew).  I looked over at my buddies, each giving me a subtle, approving nod.  There were over 190 items on the menu, but each assured me mine was a good choice and one even ordered the same thing.  Our other buddy got Duck Porridge (Duck Noodle).  The bowls were delivered to our table in about 7 minutes and were huge.  The broth on my Beef Stew was very flavorful and the meat was tender.  It was the good kind of beef too, where there are a few joints and bones you have to nibble around...and the fat, just eat that!  I tried some Duck Noodle, the broth wasn't as flavorful, but the duck was delicious.  None of the food has MSG, but still is very tasty.

Bottom line, you know a restaurant has struck a chord when you stumble upon it and know the next time your in town, you will go there again. 

Service: 7/10
Ambiance: 7/10
Food: 9/10



Link to menu.

Pho Kim Long on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

  1. You're a stud. I've never seen a haole with such a daring pallet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're a stud for typing "you're" and not "your". I'll try anything once.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...