Friday, August 17, 2012

Rudy's Favorite Barbeque in Austin

I'm treading lightly here.  I know people can get pretty passionate about their barbeque.  Couple that with the fact that Texans are passionate people and are extremely passionate about their BBQ, opinions on the best BBQ in Austin can get as heated as Rachel Maddow and Sean Hannity arguing the Presidential Election. 

Everyone in Texas has their Q joint, and feels if you don't see it their way you're an idiot.  So I'm just going to start this out by saying, "Rudy's Country Store and Bar-B-Q is my favorite Q joint in Austin and if you don't see it my way you're an idiot."  So much for treading lightly. 

Our family loves Rudy's and has since we lived in Austin 10 years ago (if you're a new BBQ restaurant that has come to town in the last 8 years, we don't know about you and frankly have no need to).  We were introduced to Rudy's by our neighbors, both Texans by birth and with that "divine lineage" were heirs to the spiritual gift of BBQ expertise.  Bottom line, two transplants from Utah are going to trust two Texans that recommend a BBQ joint.

When you walk into Rudy's, you pass the side dishes.  Make sure you get some beans.  Make sure to get some potato salad.  Then you step to the counter to put in your meet order.  They have a plastic tray lined with butcher paper waiting for your selection.  Brisket-a must.  Jalepeno Sausage-a must.  Smoked Turkey-a must.  Ribs-a must.  You order by the pound, and watch them pile the meet up on your wax paper.  Finally they ask how much bread you want, usually about 1/2 a loaf is good for 4.  Then then take a handful of wonder bread and throw it on top.  Trust me, it will come in handy later.

Next you stop by the condiment bar and have your choice of onions and pickles.  Simple and to the point, but that's Rudy's.  That's where they also have their amazing sauce that patrons have shipped to them all over the world.  The sauce is vinegar based and has some kick to it.  If you're not from Texas and think you need something a little milder, you can ask for it.  But be prepared as the person you ask for the mild sauce will yell "we need some sissy sauce." 

Now what I like to do is create a concoction that I've been told is not pleasant to witness.  I make a BBQ sandwich that includes two slices of wonder bread, potato salad, beans, brisket, pickles, onions, and Rudy's sauce.  It strikes BBQ nirvana for me.  After eating this ridiculous sandwich, I take comfort in knowing Rudy's has a trough and paper towels to clean up with. 

There are few eating establishments that you carry in the back of your mind for years.  Rudy's is still a place I crave.  My wife and I literally talk about shelling out $1,000 in airline tickets to fly our family to Texas to go eat Rudy's.  It's just that good and you're an idiot if you think there's a better BBQ place in Austin.



Service: 8/10
Ambiance: 9/10
Food: 10/10

Link to Rudy's website: Rudy's
Rudy's Country Store & Bar-B-Q on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

  1. Loved this post! To this day, I have bottles of their sauce shipped to me! And I've often imagined flying down just to get me some of Rudy's brisket which seemed to make any day all that much better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What are the shipping costs to China? I'm still trying to figure out how they only have an 86% at Urbanspoon, I mean how can you not love this place. So if you're familiar with Austin, my wife worked for Stubbs, but it was kind of our secret that we still ate at Rudy's.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...